"Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it." P.J. O’Rourke
The ICA Bookshop reveals June's top ten bestselling titles, from those on the future of capitalism through to curationism and digital culture.
1. The Internet Does Not Exist
With contributors including: Hans Ulrich Obrist, Hito Steyerl, Julian Assange and Ursula K. Heise, The Internet Does Not Exist questions what the internet means and whether it still exists.
2. Capitalist Realism: Is There No Alternative?
Using examples from film, politics, literature and education cultural theorist Mark Fisher analyses and challenges how capitalism has presented itself as the only sustainable political-economic system.
3. The Wretched of the Screen
"Without Hito Steyerl things would be awful": the mantra of our times. Find out why in this book...
4. Drone Theory
Philosopher Grégoire Chamayou’s polemic against the ever-increasing usage of drone technology in modern warfare and its resulting sociopolitical implications.
5. Curationism: How Curating Took Over the Art World and Everything Else
What does it mean to ‘curate’ in contemporary culture? And what does it mean to be a curator? With curation finding meaning beyond the parameters of art, David Balzar explores how curationism is perceived in today’s culture.
6. Rebel’s Guide to Eleanor Marx
This instalment of the Rebel’s Guide series looks at pioneering feminist and key figure in British socialism, Eleanor Marx.
The occupy movement has become a global voice for protest. In this work, philosopher Noam Chomsky discusses the central issues surrounding the occupy movement and how the 1% controls the other 99%.
8. The Future
It is onto the future that we project the fears and anxieties of the present and well as our hopes for progress. In The Future Marc Augé looks to separate our concepts of the future from the present.
9. I Will Never Be Beautiful Enough To Make Us Beautiful Together
The brutally honest and critically acclaimed debut poetry collection from Mira Gonzalez which was shortlisted for The Believer Poetry Award.
10. How to Write About Contemporary Art
Artforum’s London correspondent Gilda Williams offers the definitive guide to writing about contemporary art, from academic essays through to articles and exhibition catalogues, including discussing style, tone and jargon. ■